Thursday, July 17, 2008

Shattered Dreams

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.
-- Robert H. Goddard

The prospect and dream of returning to my native land has been tarnished. The process began with the savage slaying of the Lynn family which took place in 2007. The assassination of Douglas Chambers recently has struck me as sheer disaster and further shattered that dream.

This article in the Observer, which states "Having left Jamaica over seven years ago, Jamaica has never left me. I can truthfully say I have experienced all the stages of the grieving process as one who has lost a parent." grabbed my attention.

I am not that naive to think that my self imposed exile from my country of birth will not become permanent. I have always maintained that the Diaspora sees Jamaica through "rose" coloured glasses, tinged with nostalgia and faded memories. Well intentioned though they maybe, they are in for a rude awakening if they think they can solve the embedded problems facing Jamaica at this time.

The pundits and learned Jamaicans keep talking, explaining when the decline started and why it began, however, there seems to be a lack of will to stop the slide into oblivion.

Will it take political leadership, massive uprising, an invasion by outside forces, or continued passive acceptance to tame the savage beast that is ravaging Jamaica?

There is a simplified logic that follows the principle of the 5 W's (W5). It is summed up by asking Who, What, Where, Why and When. The pundits have solved some of the W's.

My question is Who is going to find a solution, What is that solution and When is the solution going to be implemented?

My dream of returning to the land of my birth, grows dimmer with each passing day.

Walk Good

2 comments:

ruthibel said...

So you won't return to JA unless something is done by someone (else) to make the country "safe" for you to return to. If they fix it then you'll come back, if they dont fix it, then, ah well, you don't want to, but you'll kiss that "dream" goodbye... poor you.

Morpheus Rablings said...

Hi ruthibelle
Thanks for visiting.