Wednesday, March 11, 2009

iDigress, Part II

Now where was I ......
Ahhhh, I got it.
The other morning, I was listening to someone on CBC radio talk about newly-minted President Obama’s protectionist policies and I got to pondering. How many of us really think about the daily items that we use and where they come from?
I started poking around in my bathroom and came up with twenty items including shampoo, conditioner and moisturizer. Of those twenty items, only three of them were actually manufactured in Canada.
I must admit that I was embarrassed by this realization. I though I was a little more savvy in my purchasing choices and I do routinely check labels for food and clothing. Shampoo, soap, and cosmetics are fairly expensive items (for what you get) and, during my whirlwind grocery store forays, it never occurred to me to think about that whole classification of items.
Sad to say, I don’t think we can complain too much about being so tied in with America’s economy. Protectionism on the part of the U.S. is going to be bad for all of us. Maybe we should try doing something that is good for us and buy Canadian whenever possible.

It is also fascinating to see this story about CNS and NBC, as the shoe is also on the other foot.

Walk Good

No comments: