Saturday, January 26, 2008

Distorted Justice

There are many forms of communication in this city of Ottawa.
One of the monthly newspapers is called "The Spectrum", and it is created and published to reflect the visible minorities (notice I am being politically correct) in the city of Ottawa.
It is not available online, as it can only be had at certain outlets in paper format, however, I managed to locate a "pdf" format, which I will share and ask that you read it.

"
What Hyacinth has
been through for the
last 12 months was more
than enough to make anyone
angry."


Here is a synopsis
-she worked at the Peter Clarke Institute (home for the aged) for 20 yrs.
-she had numerous written commendations
-she was reported, by a co-worker, that she molested a patient (untrue)
-she was investigated and charged (wrongly)
-her union did NOTHING
-when it went to trial, she was acquited and exonerated. When you read the reports, there are instances of the "N" word being used and directed towards her.
-she has not had any income for a year, while this is going on, she was fired.
-her employers, the union and police saw her as "guilty until proven innocent"

This is disgusting. Let me make this clear ...... I have lived in this country for 40years and this type of treatment and attitude towards visible minorities is common, but it is NOT acceptable. If you are of "black" origin, be prepared to be stopped on the street for no just cause (against the Charter of Rights) and to be fired because you are "NON white"

In a previous post I have touched on the intolerance within the Canadian society, but it must be understood that racisim in this country is systemic and one has to be careful what you need to fight for and when avoidance is the better approach

Yes, I am angry and hurt.

Can I do anything to help her cause, yes I have.
Can I do anything to stop this travesty happening in the future, no, but I will fight for it to be stopped.

The travails of this worker is NOT isolated, and I will close with this phrase.

"But for the Grace of God, go I"

Peace

No comments: