Sunday, June 7, 2009

Making Old, New Again


Over the years I have collected lots of records, including 78's, 45's and 33 RPM. The 45's and 78's were not kept in pristine condition, but the 33 were always stored properly.
A few years ago I decided to transfer the 45's to CD's. I wouldn't call it a disaster, but it was a trying experience. Suffice it to say I did do a fairly decent job and now have CD's of all my 45's and they sound decent enough, with no pops or crackles. I also transferred a few 33 to CD, and the effort was rewarding, but time consuming.
Using my existing turntable with a pre-amp to the PC had wires going all over the place, refer to this article, to get the picture and the requirements.
Now they have USB turntables, and that is what I needed, so I bought an Audio Technica, and that works great, without the myriad of wires and hookups.
I also used a piece of software called Spin It Again, and that makes the transfer easy. I tried a lot of software applications that transfer LP to CD's, however, SIA is the best I have used for its "ease of use" and its efficiency in doing what it is designed to do, and that is transfer LP/cassettes to CD.
To get the vinyl records clean, I use Nagaoka and Discwasher D4+
I decided to use "lightscribe" discs so that I could burn the label directly onto the cd, without having to print a label, which may create an imbalance in the CD player.
This is going to take me a long time to complete, but it is fun.
Walk Good

No comments: