Friday, February 3, 2012

Black History Month


OK, here we go again, Celebrating Black History Month and I have no idea why it is a celebration.
I have decided to look at it in a different angle. I happen to live in a white dominated country and over the years have had many questions asked of me (or seen situations), so here are but a few that I can remember. When you read them, take a moment to have a laugh, as I did when I was asked, but deep down I thought something else... don't ask.
1. When one Black person gives an opinion and claims the opinion belongs to all of us.
2. When the Black person who gives the opinion for the collective is an ignorant jackass.
3. When the media interviews that one ignorant jackass and plays it on loop, giving the rest of the world the impression that we all behave and or think in that same manner.
4. When people touch our hair (we are NOT dogs, don't pet us. We don't do that shit to you)
5. When people ask to touch our hair (although it is not as insulting as #4)
6. When we are the only Black person in the room, and there is a "let's ask Jim, he's here and he's Black so he must know the answer" moment; rethink it. Sometimes we don't know why other Black folks do or think what they think. Sometimes we do...but don't assume. I don't walk up to random White folks and ask them why ALL White folks do things.
7. If someone has a large behind, stop calling it Black Girl booty. Some black girls are actually unfortunately deficient in the hind end area. Stereotypes are a no-no people.
8. Stop telling your children to stop it. If it isn't working, maybe you need to go back to the drawing board. There is nothing more annoying than hearing "Evan, stop it. No Evan, don't throw sand. Evan, I said don't." (I am sure this doesn’t just annoy Black folks, but all of my family is old school. Evan would get his butt whipped after the second stop it. Daddy always said "don't make me have to tell you twice”)
9. Stop asking about us about weaves. We don't all do that shit. My hair grows when I don't shave it off.
10. Do not grab your purse or move over in the elevator when we get in. We don't bite. Really, we don't.
11. Stop assuming that we will have "the chicken." I thought that it was something clever Dave Chapelle thought up in a skit until I attended TWO (count them...ONE, TWO) conferences where we were supposed to be able to choose chicken, beef, or a veggie meal....and the waiter sat chicken in front of me both times and gave others a choice. I damn near peed myself laughing, but it really wasn't cool at all. (Same fucking thing with watermelon)
12. If we put on sun screen, stop asking why. Yes. I burn. I have skin. It gets darker, it turns red, and it peels. I use the SPF on a regular basis. Get over it.
13. Stop asking us what we are "mixed with" if we don't look Blue Black. We come in all shapes, colors, and sizes. It would be downright impolite to answer with "my ancestors were brought here on a big fucking boat and were raped, and then some married other people who were not of African descent" Besides, try giving that answer several times in one day. Downright tiring.

AH SAH
WALK GOOD

No comments: