Friday, January 23, 2009

Crime and Punishment, Part IV

Loving Our Country
“How can we love our country and not love our countrymen, and loving them, reach out a hand when they fall, heal them when they are sick, and provide opportunities to make them self-sufficient so they will be equal in fact and not just in theory?”... Ronald Regan, January 20, 1981.
Does this love our countrymen, murder rate in Jamaica ……
2005 …. 1250
2006 …. 1487
2007 …. 1583
2008 …. 1617
The JCF says that it will reduce this rate by 5% in 2009; this envisions the rate to be 1536 in 2009.
In 2006 I had expressed that Jamaica was un-governable and the nation required divine intervention.
That particular session generated a maelstrom of poison pen comments, most of which I did not publish as they consisted of hateful diatribe.
I quote one, which I consider to be a bit farfetched.
“Mi know wey yu mother live, so if yu a go talk dem things she a go get hurt”
To enlighten this individual, my mother died 10 years ago, so he has my blessing to go pay her a visit.
Did 5937 people die in vain, just to become a statistic?
They were somebody’s child, mother, father, sister, brother or cousin, are they equal only in theory?
Is this the way we love our country?
Walk Good.

1 comment:

ruthibel said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jamaica is ungovernable. We do need divine intervention, though- that is no lie!

My problem has always been the fantastic complexity of the issue of social order and governance. The solution is elusive simply because the problem is go great. I wonder if we take the apprach we take to a hard math equation- breaking things down to their smallest units and then working our way up to finally find the answer- would work here.

I wonder...