Friday, January 2, 2009

idigress

Gravity is probably my greatest enemy......
Missing gravity Here
Do you know that there are a couple of places in Canada that the gravity is actually lower than it is in other parts of the world?
Throughout my life, I’ve often noted that gravity is probably my greatest enemy
(in more ways than one). As a child, like so many others, I cultivated a minor career in tossing things to the floor. That was the beginning.
Now, everything I own seems to end up on the floor and that, in addition to all the other things that seem to want to head south that I won’t mention, caused me to momentarily consider what it would take to pull up stakes and move to the Hudson Bay region — and then I remembered winter... [Insert ominous cello music here!]
Anyone experimenting with anti-gravity environments and looking for a volunteer, call me immediately. I might have some friends who would be interested.

Puzzle sites
Crossword Here
Sudoku Here
Need a little time to relax? Here are a couple of puzzle sites for your entertainment.
I personally like my games without many armed aliens who refer to me as a ‘puny human’. I already know that and, frankly, it doesn’t keep me awake at night — well... not any more. I’m not saying that those game people who thrill in cyberspace battle for the universe are wrong. Admittedly, I myself fantasize about slaying an evil witch from time to time, especially when stressed. Normally though, I prefer a quieter way of doing things. They always say that revenge is best served cold so the immediate gratification that the video game offers is not to my personal taste. Real life is scary enough.
The Jigzone site gives a bunch of different options for puzzles and you can choose the number of pieces or the level of difficulty. You can upload your own photos to be used as puzzles, too. Kids keeping in contact with cousins or distant friends might have fun with this feature. They could solve the puzzle to see the photo. Websudoku is yet another way that you can enjoy Sudoku. On this site, you can do the puzzle online or print out however many puzzles you like or, if you want to work on actual paper, you can print your own customized e-book. Again, you can choose your level of difficulty.
Sudoku, for anyone who hasn’t experienced it, is just engaging enough to relieve your brain of other worries and not involving enough to give it any more. I remember going to the home of friends who had experienced a death in the family and seeing half-finished Sudokus spread all over the house.

UNESCO
Heritage Sites Here
UNESCO (aka the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) encourages the, “identification protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity.”
Their mandate is pretty inspirational when you consider it in the context of an increasingly-difficult world. It’s really important that we recognize these areas and sites as part of our own cultural heritage as citizens of the world. I think that it’s time to stop thinking ‘mine and theirs’, start thinking ‘ours’ and celebrate our diversity. You could spend hours looking at places like Los Glaciares National Park in Argentina, the Summer Palace, an Imperial Garden in Beijing or the Dorset and East Devon Coast in the UK. There’s an interactive map of the world where you can zoom in on each area or get a general overview of the continents and where these places exist.

Walk Good

2 comments:

ruthibel said...

I know it's late, but happy new year Morpheus!!

Good suggestions for useful diversion: I'll definitely try jigzone... never heard of that before.

I prefer crosswords to suduko: words versus numbers... words win by a landslide! But suduko is good brain exercise.

PS I thought I was the only one who spent my freetime surfing UN websites... you should try just browsing the BBC website as well... lotsa useful tidbits to pick up from that, and it can be quite entertaning!

Morpheus Rablings said...

@Ruthibelle
Welcome back and thanks for dropping in.
Happy New Year to you also.
Walk Good