Monday, March 17, 2008

Busy with .........

There are times where I need to ask "where did the past 24 hours go"?
I am very good with managing my time, however, outside influences play a major role in creating havoc.
I am busy with being busy.
My boss has a phrase (which he adheres to) "If you can't influence it or control it, leave it alone"
Some of the stuff that I can't "control" is discombobulating.
This is not a rant, as I can't seem to find the time to post and maintain any form of continuity on this blog, so I miss some self imposed deadlines.
In the past I have tried to refrain from talking about technical stuff(PC hardware, software, TV etc), however, I will break that rule in this issue.
I had to do some traveling, but my laptop was fubar and I needed to be able to access the internet and my email. I had a USB flash drive gathering dust, so I decided to install some Portable Applications. They are FREE and available from "here"
So I had FF(Firefox) and TB(Thunderbird Email Client) so I did the setup so I had my favorite Bookmarks and TB had my email addresses and I could access them all.
So off I went on my trip (without my trusted old laptop), and when I arrived all I needed was a PC with Internet connection and a USB port.
It worked perfectly, as I was able to email all the reports to my boss so he could get a "heads up" on what was being discussed and what he needed.
Let me say that both FF and TB is not for the "non techie", and there is a small learning curve for those that are embedded with IE or Outlook. However, they are secure , safe and with careful use of "plugins" for FF, the user will be much safer than with IE7.
During my research of FF and TB, I found out that there is a vast user community and they will assist the NEW user of FF/TB with any problems.
I would strongly suggest to anyone that they try FF/TB (RT?M), read the "help" files and the "FAQ" and you will be a convert.

I am busy as busy gets, so I will leave you with this gem.

"Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire."

Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely what you're going through, as far as busyness is concerned. It never seems to end, even when you think you're finally able to take a deep breath and just relax.

And for technical matters, I'm proud to say that I'm a certified non-techie. LOL!